Of course I tweeked it a little bit to fit my family’s likes and desires, and this is what I came up with.
1 lb. ground meat (your choice)
20 soft tortilla shells (approx.)
8 oz. cream cheese
2 packets of taco seasoning
1 16 oz. jar of salsa (my husband has requested to try it with taco sauce instead next time)
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
**Update: we tried it with taco sauce instead of salsa and it was a hit!
1. Brown meat and mix in one packet of taco seasoning as directed on the packet.
2. Cut tortilla shells into strips and place them in the bottom of a greased, 9×13 casserole dish.
3. Spread seasoned meat over the tortilla shells.
4. Place another layer of tortilla shells on top of the meat.
5. Melt the cream cheese in a small sauce pan. Once melted, stir in the other packet of taco seasoning. Spread cream cheese mixture over the layer of tortilla shells.
6. Add another layer of tortilla shells. Spread the salsa evenly on top.
7. Add another layer of tortilla shells and sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Tent with foil and remove foil for the last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.