The Mystery of History is our curriculum of choice when it comes to world history for the early elementary grades. I struggled in the beginning of our homeschool journey to find a history program that we liked and that was a good fit for our family. Plus, I kept going back and forth on whether I wanted my kids to study American History first or study history chronologically. I finally settled on Mystery of History, and I’m glad we did.
There are so many great products and projects to go along with Mystery of History. Mapwork, Memory Cards, project ideas, and a Timeline are all included in the book. We are also using the Coloring Pages and the Notebooking pages that you can purchase to go along with the curriculum.
It’s been a slow process, but Lord willing, I will share our entire journey through The Mystery of History. I know I love seeing how other people use a curriculum that we are using – it’s fun to see and it also helps in getting ideas.
Here are some of the things we did and read for Lessons 13-15, as well as some other ideas I found that we didn’t end up using (there are only so many hours in a day):
Lesson 13: Abraham
Lesson 14: Jacob and Esau
Lesson 15: Joseph
Besides the readings from the book, we also read the corresponding chapters in the Bible. We are using the Hands-On Bible (NLT) and are really enjoying it.
Additional books & resources:
- Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob by Carolyn Larsen
- Abraham, Sarah, and Isaac by Joanne Bader
- Abe and the Amazing Promise – Veggie Tales DVD
- Isaac Blesses Jacob and Esau by Stephenie Hovland
- Twin Trouble Coloring Book
- Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors – Greatest Heroes and Legends of the Bible DVD
- My Story: Joseph by Fiona Boon
We made Friend of God Crowns after we read about Abraham who was called a friend of God.
We made a family tree of Abraham’s descendants.
We also did a visual comparison of Esau and Jacob.
And we finished up by making tie-dye shirts to symbolize Joseph and his coat of many colors.
Here are a few more ideas I found around the web:
- A Promise for Abraham Bible Minibook
- Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors Craft Stick Puppets
- Joseph’s Coat of Many Colors
Leave a Reply