I’m in full planning mode for the upcoming school year! We don’t actually stop homeschooling, as we homeschool year round, but we do have a point where I like to kind of start over or start fresh and when the kids advance to the next ‘grade’ level. That point is usually the beginning of September, just after my oldest child’s birthday.
As part of my planning, I make a list of literature books that each child can choose from throughout the year for their independent reading. Here is the list that I’ve put together for my 6th grader this year.
- Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Black Gold by Marguerite Henry
- Pollyanna by Elanor H. Porter
- Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit
- Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
- The Children’s Homer by Padraic Colum
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
- The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
- Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder
- Blue Willow by Doris Gates
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil F. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
- The Shining Sword by Charles G. Coleman
- Son of Angels Series by Jonah Stone
- Chronicles of Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis
Here are a couple other reading lists by grade level:
And get a FREE printable reading log and book report form by clicking on the graphic below.