As I mentioned in my previous post about our 5th grade curriculum selections, for reading, my 5th grader will have a list of books to chose from for his independent reading time, as well as a reading log to track his progress and what he’s read.
Here is the 5th grade reading list that I came up with for him to pick and choose from (in no particular order):
- Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
- The Door in the Wall by Marguerite DeAngeli
- Hans Brinker: The Silver Skates by Mary Mapes Dodge
- My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
- Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
- Life in the Great Ice Age by Michael and Beverly Oard
- The Toothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill
- Gentle Ben by Walt Morey
- The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
- The Apple and the Arrow by Mary and Conrad Buff
- The Buffalo Knife by William O. Steele
- Snow Treasure by Marie McSwign
- Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat
- The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bettie Bao Lord
- Cabin on Trouble Creek by Jean Van Leeuwen
- The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
- Scripture Sleuth Volumes 1-5 by Mat Halverson
- Sugar Creek Gang Volumes 1-6 by Paul Hutchens
What’s on your upper elementary reading list? What books would you recommend for upper elementary?
I’m offering this Reading Log and Book Report Form for FREE to My Joy-Filled Life subscribers. To get yours, simply subscribe by clicking the download button below and going through the checkout process (don’t worry, it’s FREE).
As a subscriber to My Joy-Filled Life you will get weekly(ish) updates and occasional information about great freebies, giveaways, and offers.