FREE Reading Log & Book Report Form

Sarah Thin 2

Just wanted to share some printables that I made for our homeschool next year.
You are welcome to download them and use them in your school as well!
 FREE Reading Printables - A Reading Log & 2-Page Book Report Form
I made a reading log for each of my independent readers to keep track of their daily reading.  They are required to read for at least 30 minutes a day and record what they read in their reading logs.  The reading log has spaces to record the date, author, book title, time spent reading, and pages read.
Reading log image
I also made a 2-page book report form to help me assess reading comprehension.  I used the various levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy when coming up with the questions.
I’ve included the following questions:
Name the main characters
Tell where and when the book takes place
Tell what the book is about
Who is the narrator?
What questions would you ask your favorite character?
Explain what part of the book was your favorite and why
What changes would you make to the book?
And I included a space for the student to rate the book – 1-5 stars.
Book Report Image
Looking for some reading suggestions for your kids, check out these book lists and check out my Books for Kids Pinterest Board too!

Fill out the subscribe box below to get your FREE printable!

(If you are already a subscriber, I include all of the subscriber FREEBIES in each newsletter I send out)

Linking up with many of these awesome link parties.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. says

This is exactly what I’ve been meaning to sit down and do a search for. Perfect! Simple, clean, and just what I wanted. You are so talented, you know that? Thank you so very much for sharing this. God bless!

2. says

I wish I could be disciplined enough to use something like this. I made a Family reading (and Listening_ Log last year and shared it at, but never got past the first month of using it since we read and listen to sooooo many books. Any tips for putting the plan to practice and actually having the list handy when you are reading things here, there and everywhere about the house, yard and out and about? If so, pop over to to leave a comment offering them. I’d be grateful! (I kow “just do it” is a a logical tip, but, really, it is hard for my children and me to remember to write down everything we read and to get into the habit of doing so.)

• says

Since my boys don’t enjoy reading as much as I wish they did, I do require them to fill out the reading logs so I can make sure they are doing their daily reading. If your kids are avid readers, I would just suggest keeping a list/log of all the books they are reading and not keep track of their time spent and pages read. If they love reading, they are most likely getting their daily dose! But it would be nice to keep a list to look back on for future reference. So, I guess my advice is to simplify your log and just keep track of the books you/they read.

Hope that helps! Thanks for commenting!

3. says

OH, I like the landscape orientation, it gives more room! Brilliant!

Seconding Martianne—my #1 problem with reading logs is getting them consistently used! My kids read a ton, but as soon as I ask them to “write it down”…ugh! For some reason the recording of it seems to take the wind out of their sails.

• says

Unfortunately, my boys are not avid readers – it’s like pulling teeth to get them to read, so I don’t have to worry about taking the wind out of their sails since it was never there to begin with. I require them to read at least for 30 minutes a day and they are required to fill out the log so I can keep track and make sure they are reading. Their reading log goes in their assignment binder and they know they are supposed to fill it out and I (or my husband) checks their independent assignments every evening. They also have a timer bookmark to help them keep track of their time (we got these because I didn’t feel they were reading for the full 30 minutes). If you already have avid readers, the time spent and pages read probably aren’t necessary to keep track of, but keeping track of the books and authors is a good idea so you can go back and see all the wonderful books they have read, and that way you don’t have to worry about filling it out everyday, just fill it out when they finish a book.

4. says

Hi Sarah,

These look great. I have been meaning to make some up for us now I don’t have to. I am currently working on a post about reading, would it be o.k to mention your blog and paste a link to this post? Let me know thanks.

5. says

These printables look great! I’ve seen this post shared all over Pinterest and on link-ups this week. :-) Thanks for taking the time to create these and share them with us! Hope your family gets great use out of them.

6. says

Hi Sarah,
    I found your blog when I googled about an amazing homeschooler. It’s a wonderful blog. I’m not only going to use your printables for my students but also myself who starts to trace down my readings, again. Thanks for sharing this.